Christine Salomon, PhD
Associate Professor, Center for Drug Design (CDD)
Associate Professor, Center for Drug Design (CDD)
PhD, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 2001
Southampton College, 1995
Graduate Faculty, Microbial Engineering Adjunct Assistant Professor, Biotechnology Institute
Graduate Faculty, Microbial Engineering
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Biotechnology Institute
The overarching goal of our research program is to discover novel natural products with useful biological activities. Chemical extracts are obtained from cultures of environmental bacterial and fungi that are collected from diverse field locations. Bioassay guided fractionation is used to purify compounds with activity against a panel of human bacterial and fungal pathogens, cancer cell lines and pathogenic biofilms.
Additional screens include an oxidative protection assay and enhancement of limb regeneration in animal models. Novel compounds with potent biological activities are studied to identify the critical pharmacophores which may provide lead structures for new therapeutics or strategies to treat infectious disease, cancer and neurodegenerative disorders.
Active compounds may also provide useful tools to study biosynthetic pathways, signaling cascades, drug resistance, and novel mechanisms of inhibition. Additional areas of interest include biocontrol of agricultural pathogens and the elucidation and modulation of communication networks among bacterial populations using natural products.
Research Funding Grants
- Healthy Foods, Healthy Lives Institute, UMN, Jan 2009-June 2010 “Biorational Development of Plant Disease Biocontrol” Role: Co-PI with Linda Kinkel, PhD
- AHC Seed Grant, UMN, July 2010-July 2011
“A Novel Synergistic Approach for the Treatment of Medical Biofilms” Role: PI
- AHC Seed Grant, UMN, July 2010-July 2011
“A Novel Zebrafish Screen for Discovery of Natural Compounds that Enhance Limb Regeneration”Role: Co-Investigator with Yasuhiko Kawakami, PhD and Anindya Bagchi, PhD (PI)
- Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCCMR), July 2010-June 2013
“Extreme Microbes of Minnesota-Geomicrobiology in the Soudan Iron Mine”
Role: Co-Investigator with Jeff Gralnick, PhD (PI)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), March 2011-Feb 2014
“Interspecies Signaling Interactions and Pathogen Suppression Among Soilborne Streptomyces”
Role: PI with co-PI Linda Kinkel, PhD
- AHC Cancer Center Seed Grant, UMN, Jan 2012-Dec 2013
“Novel Natural Product Modulators of Zebrafish Limb Regeneration”
Role: Co-PI with Anindya Bagchi, PhD (PI) and Yasuhiko Kawakami, PhD
- OVPR Grant in Aid, UMN, July 2012-June 2013
“Understanding the Hidden Language of Antibiotic Production”
- BTI Research Grant, UMN, Sept. 2012-August 2014
“Elucidation of Chemical Signaling Among Antibiotic Producing Bacteria”Role: PI - See more at: http://www.cdd.umn.edu/Members/Salomon/SalomonRese...
Erickson, Josh and Salomon, Christine E. US Provisional Patent Application No. 62/138,774 Polypeptides, Cells, And Methods For Biofilm Therapy And Detection, March 26, 2015. A bacterial therapeutic for precise targeting, disruption and killing of biofilm pathogens
- A nontoxic fungal natural product modulates fin regeneration in zebrafish larvae upstream of FGF‐WNT developmental signaling. Paul Cavanah, Junji Itou, Yudi Rusman, Naoyuki Tahara, Jessica M. Williams, Christine E. Salomon, Yasuhiko Kawakami, Developmental Dynamics. 2020; 1–15. (Abstract)
- Diverse subterranean fungi of an underground iron ore mine. Benjamin W. Held, Christine E. Salomon, Robert A. Blanchette. PLOS ONE 2020, 15(6): e0234208. (Abstract)
- Discovery of antifungal and biofilm preventative compounds from mycelial cultures of a unique North American Hericium sp. fungus. Xun Song, François Gaascht, Cl
audia Schmidt-Dannert, Christi ne ESalomon. Molecules, 2020, 25, 963. (Abstract)
- Antifungal norditerpene oidiolactones from the fungus Oidiodendron truncatum, a potential biocontrol agent for white-nose syndrome in bats. Yudi Rusman, Michael B. Wilson, Jessica M. Williams, Benjamin W. Held, Robert A. Blanchette, Brianna N. Anderson, Christopher R. Lupfer, Christine E. Salomon. Journal of Natural Products 2020, 83, 344-353. (Abstract)
- Cadopherone and colomitide polyketides from Cadophora wood-rot fungi associated with historic expedition huts in Antarctica. Rusman Y, Held B, Blanchette RA, Salomon CE. Phytochemistry 2018, 148, 1-10. (Abstract)
- Resource capture and competitive ability of non-pathogenic Pseudogymnoascus spp. and P. destructans, the cause of white-nose syndrome in bats. Wilson MB, Held BW, Freiborg AH, Blanchette RA, Salomon CE. PLoSONE 2017, 12(6): e0178968. (Abstract)
- Complete genome of Streptomyces albus SM254, a potent antagonist of bat white-nose syndrome pathogen Pseudogymnoascus destructans. Badalamenti JP, Erickson JD, Salomon CE. Genome Announcements 2016, 4(2):e00290-16.
- Growth inhibition and apoptosis in prostate and breast cancer cells induced by polyphenolic compounds of Acacia hydaspica R. Parker: Involvement of multiple signal transduction pathways. Afsar, T, Trembley, JH, Salomon, CE, Razak, S, Khan, MR, Ahmed, K. Scientific Reports 2016, in press.
- Soudanones A-G: Antifungal isochromanones from the ascomycetous fungus Cadophora sp. isolated from an iron mine. Rusman Y, Held B, Blanchette R, Wittlin S, Salomon CE. Journal of Natural Products 2015, 78, 1456-1460.
- Ultra-High-Throughput Screening of Natural Product Extracts to Identify Proapoptotic Inhibitors of Bcl-2 Family Proteins. Hassig CA, Zeng F-Y, Kung P, Kiankarimi M, Kim S, Diaz PW, Zhai D, Welsh K, Morshedian S, Su Y, O'Keefe B, Newman DJ, Rusman Y, Kaur H, Salomon CE, Brown SG, Baire B, Michel AR, Hoye TR, Francis S, Georg GI, Walters MA, Divlianska DB, Roth GP, Wright AE, Reed JC Journal of Biomolecular Screening 2014, doi:10.1177/1087057114536227
- Synthesis and evaluation of N-alkyl-9-aminoacridines with antibacterial activity. Benoit AR, Schiaffo C, Yang J, Salomon CE, Ji Y, Goodell J, Ferguson, DM. Bioorgic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2014, 24, 3014–3017.
- Antiproliferative activities of halogenated thieno[3,2-d]pyrimidines. Temburnikar KW, Zimmermann S, Kim NT, Ross CR, Gelbmann C, Salomon CE, Wilson GM, Balzarini J, Seley-Radtke KL. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2014, 22, 2113-2122.
- Subinhibitory antibiotic concentrations alter nutrient utilization and niche overlap among Streptomyces spp. Vaz P, Bakker M, Salomon CE, Kinkel LL. Plos One 2013, 8 (12): e81064.
- Solphenazines A-F: Glycosylated phenazines from Streptomyces sp. strain DL-93. Rusman Y, Oppegard LM, Hiasa H, Gelbmann C, Salomon CE. Journal of Natural Products 2013, 76, 91-96.
- Pathogen variation and urea influence selection and success of Streptomyces mixtures in biocontrol. Otto-Hanson LK, Grabau Z, Rosen C, Salomon CE, Kinkel LL. Phytopathology 2013, 103, 34-42.
- Total synthesis and biological evaluation of the structure of (+)-transvalencin Z. Nelson KM, Salomon CE, Aldrich CA.Journal of Natural Products 2012, 75, 1037-1043.
- Natural products as leads for tuberculosis drug development. Salomon CE, Schmidt LE. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry 2012, 12, 735-765.
- Dual inhibitors of HIV reverse transcriptase and integrase: Structure-activity-relationship studies on integrase inhibition.Wang Z, Tang J, Salomon C, Dreis C,Vince R. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2010, 18, 4202-4211.
- Plant signaling compounds alter secondary metabolite production among antagonistic streptomyces. Bakker MG, Salomon CE, Kinkel LL. Phytopathology 2009, 99(6): S7-S8.
- Structure and cytotoxicity of arnamial and related fungal sesquiterpene aryl esters. Misiek M, Williams J, Schmich K, Huttel W, Merfort I, Salomon CE, Aldrich CC, Hoffmeister D. Journal of Natural Products 2009, 72, 1888-1891. (Abstract)
- Biosynthesis of Ubiquinone Compounds with Conjugated Prenyl Side Chains. Lee PC, Salomon CE, Mijts B, Schmidt-Dannert C. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2008, 74, 6908-6917. (Abstract)
- Rationally designed dual inhibitiors of HIV reverse transcriptase and integrase. Wang Z, Bennett EM, Wilson DJ, Salomon CE, Vince R. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2007, 50, 3416-3419. (Abstract)
- Gene transfer in gram positive bacteria. Kristich C, Salomon CE, Dunny G. Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, Gerhardt R, Ed., American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C., USA. 2007.
- Total synthesis of narbonolide and biotransformation to pikromycin: Effect of protecting groups on the intramolecular Nozaki–Hiyama–Kishi coupling of 14-membered macrolides. Venkatraman L, Salomon CE, Sherman DH, Fecik R. J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 9853-9856. (Abstract)
- Merging the potential of microbial genetics with marine biological and chemical diversity: An even brighter future for marine natural product drug discovery. Salomon CE, Magarvey NA, Sherman DH. Natural Product Reports 2004, 21, 105-121. (Abstract)
- Localization studies of bioactive cyclic peptides in the ascidian Lissoclinum patella. Salomon CE, Faulkner DJ. Journal of Natural Products. 2002, 65, 689-692. (Abstract)
- Relative and absolute stereochemistry of the didemnaketals, metabolites of a Palauan ascidian, Didemnum sp.Salomon CE, Williams DH, Lobkovsky E, Clardy JC, Faulkner DJ. Organic Letters. 2002, 4, 1699-1702. (Abstract)
- The cellular localization of the pyridoacridine dercitamide in the Palauan sponge Oceanapia sagittaria. Salomon CE, Deerinck T, Ellisman M, Faulkner DJ. Marine Biology 2001, 139, 313-319. (Abstract)
- Symbiotic bacteria in sponges: Sources of bioactive compounds. Faulkner DJ, Harper MK, Salomon CE, Schmidt EW. Drugs from the Sea, Fusetani N, ed, Kargel, Basel, 2000, 107-119.
- Localization of bioactive metabolites in marine sponges. Faulkner DJ, Harper MK, Salomon CE, Schmidt EW. Proceedings, 5th International Sponge Symposium, Brisbane, Australia. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum. 1999, 44, 167-173.
- Plakinidine D, A new pyrroloacridine alkaloid from an undescribed Didemnum sp. ascidian and Didemnum rubeum. Smith CJ, Venables DA, Ireland CM, Hopmann C, Salomon CE, Faulkner DJ, Jompa J, Tahir A. Journal of Natural Products 1997, 60, 1048-1050. (Abstract)
- Sagitol, A pyridoacridine alkaloid from the sponge Oceanapia sagittaria.Salomon CE, Faulkner DJ. Tetrahedron Letters 1996, 37, 9147-9148. (Abstract)
- New azacyclopropene derivatives from Dysidea fragilis collected in Pohnpei. Salomon CE, Williams DH, Faulkner DJ. Journal of Natural Products 1995, 58, 1463-1466. (Abstract)